Remove this ad

Lead

Nov 5 10 10:34 AM

Tags : :

I've been kicking around this idea for some time. I know that "open source" is primarily a digital phenomenon, but I've been wondering what this would look like when it was applied to perfume.

In one way, it could be a collaborative physical effort, a la telephone - where someone starts a bottle, writes down what they put in it, then passes it on to the next person, when finally at the end of the perfume's travels, the recipe and/or perfume gets posted for others to replicate (or purchase/donation), for those who aren't interested in the creation but grock on the idea) Then the next one would start off from there. A creative decant circle, but more. People could chronicle the travels of the bottle with reviews along the way as it morphs, or ideas, photos with gnomes or by the Eiffel tower, etc.

I'm sure there are other ways for this to manifest and those ideas and methods are probably in your brain. I'm a very collectively minded person and believe in sharing the love and joy.

I dunno - what say you?

"Every second that you cling to life you have to feel alive." ~The Chameleons

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Nov 5 10 11:52 AM

That sounds like an unbelievably fun project. Not sure how the "adding" phase would be, for people who don't have a lot of components (or liquid components. I've got plenty of resins and plant matter, but really, do we want that clogging up half a bottle? Probably not.) It would be a fun thing to track, though, and I'm sure some amazing things could come from it. (Or horrible things that everyone loves anyway.)

Of course, you're also gonna have to deal with people like me: What does this need? Vanilla. *dunk* Oh this one? More vanilla. *dunk* This one here? Lacking vanilla. *dunk*

:D I'd love to hear peoples ideas on this though.

My loves: Serena, Spilled Salt, Uranus, Has No Hanna, Shakti, Odin, Dragons Blood

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Nov 5 10 12:23 PM

*snicker* MOAR VANILLARZ

It sounds interesting to me, I admit. I have a ton of oils but when it comes to 'single notes' not so much. Still... as long as you don't care where the added oils come from... I do have a lot of -oils-....

I think my only concern would be one of miscability; I -have- noticed that a lot of oils seem to demonstrate differing specific gravities depending on nature and supplier, so what you might end up with at the end is something that looks like a Zombie drink. (BPAL's 'Wulric the Wolfman' had this problem and it was even from a single etailer... one of the component oils didn't actually mix with the others so there was always a layer of something dark red at the bottom of the bottle and you had to shake the hell out of it to get it to go into suspension even for a little while.)

Favorites! -- Werewolf, Obatala, Aswang, Knock On Wood, Lightless Maze, Wendigo, Gears of Oblivion

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Nov 5 10 12:53 PM

Get a clear bottle and that might end up lookin' pretty cool.

My loves: Serena, Spilled Salt, Uranus, Has No Hanna, Shakti, Odin, Dragons Blood

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Nov 5 10 3:37 PM

I like this idea...! But I lack pretty much anything in single note fragrance or essential oils. I've some, but not a ton. However, that being said, I really do like this idea. Sounds like a lot of fun. :D

Favorites – Bête Noire Brew, Gears of Oblivion, Ignis Fatuus, Pirate's Breakfast, Werewolf

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Nov 6 10 5:11 PM

I like this idea too, but as with the others I lack single note components. It would take some thought, but it could be a lot of fun!

Favorite Blends: Unicorn, Abandoned Morgue, Nuit

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Nov 11 10 2:37 PM

I have a whole trunk of essential oils.  I would love to do this!

Favorites --- Aradia, Epona, Athena, Blue Rose, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Rabbit's Foot, Freya, Hera, Spilled Salt, Black Flowers Violet Ribbons, Green Potion

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Nov 20 10 9:32 AM

Hmm...

This makes me think - would anyone be interested in perfume making classes? I could put my education degree to use and come up with a curriculum... learn things like aromatherapy, chemistry, perfumer's mathematics, safety, marketing, packaging, web stuff, etc.

I LOVE sharing knowledge (ask Sigg over at Good Judy) and would love to see what you all could come up with!

"Every second that you cling to life you have to feel alive." ~The Chameleons

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#8 [url]

Nov 20 10 6:12 PM

YESYESYESYESYES.

Also: YES.

And maybe: YES.

Really, there is no way how awesome that would be. Like Ms. Cat's classes over at LM or somethin'? SIGN ME UP.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Dec 1 10 11:30 AM

I'd be very interested! A class to help a beginner know where to start would be awesome! I've been interested in possibly buying some supplies to experiment with, but it's hard to know which etailer has good quality but reasonably priced components and such. And I've no idea how one takes an idea and begins to turn it into a scent that is wearable. I'd love to learn a bit about how you do it Vajra!

Favorite Blends: Unicorn, Abandoned Morgue, Nuit

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jun 11 11 8:33 AM

Ressurecting the second idea!
I love perfumery and would really enjoy classes and/or documentation about making perfume oils! :)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help